“This is “game changing” news for many reasons:
- Joost’s model is about a convergence of online videos and television. We’re on the verge, and this is a big step in that direction.
- Viacom will likely keep the vast majority of the ad revenue, but this gives Joost credibility and a jump-start for building an audience.
- It’s arguably an overstatement, but Viacom is for Joost is somewhat like Howard Stern was for Sirius.
- Now YouTube will need to compete to maintain relationships with “big media.”
- It’s a bold move for Viacom because they’re basically saying they don’t need an online audience. They can build one. How many people use Joost vs. YouTube?”