With Skype/Facebook and Google hangouts promoting real time video chat there is talk of the AliveWeb. You can even use Hangouts to watch youtube videos with your friends. (Detailed how to after the jump.)
How to watch youtube in hangout, via Gigaom:
- Start a Hangouts session in Google+ and invite your contacts to join you.
- In a separate browser tab, head over to YouTube.com/Live and select a live stream of your choice.
- Copy the YouTube video ID of the selected live stream. Not sure how to find it? Just click on the “share” link below the video. You’ll get to see a link like http://youtube.com/XXXXXXXX — the cryptic code after the slash is the video ID.
- Switch back to Hangouts, open the video tab and search for the ID.
- Click “Play,” and you’re all set.